0
Lifou CULTURAL HERITAGE

Grand Chiefdom of Mou

The Grand Chiefdom of the Lössi District is located in the Mou tribal village, in the south of the island.

Like all other great chiefdoms, it is the home of the Grand Chief of the district and his respective families. It may be possible to visit the large traditional hut and to do this ask at the iPoint (information centre) in Lifou, the Cemaid or an inhabitant of the tribe.

Spoken languages

  • French

OPENING

  • From 01/01 to 31/12, daily.

CONTACTS

  • Mou
    98820 Lifou

PRICES

Free to participate.

See also

Monument to the sinking of the Monique
Historic site and monument

Monument to the sinking of the Monique

Maré
On the quayside facing the sea at Tadine stands the monument to La Monique in memory of the 126 people who disappeared in 1953 on the ship La Monique somewhere between Maré and Nouméa.
Ouvéa Oil/Soap Factory
Company open to the public

Ouvéa Oil/Soap Factory

Ouvéa
The company Iaai Savonnerie des Îles – ISI – manufactures solid soaps from copra oil supplied by the local oil mill using an artisanal process.
Church of Saint-Michel
Historic site and monument

Church of Saint-Michel

Ouvéa
The Catholic church of Saint-Michel is located in the centre of Fayaoué island and the capital of the island.
Monument dedicated to the arrival of the Gospel
Historic site and monument

Monument dedicated to the arrival of the Gospel

Lifou
On Ahmelewedr beach, stands a monument that commemorates the arrival in Lifou of the Protestant missionaries Fao and Zakaria in 1842.
Yeiwene Yeiwene Cultural Centre
The Yeiwene Yeiwene Cultural Centre is named after the pro-independence leader from Maré, who was assassinated with Jean-Marie Tjibaou in 1989. It is located near the megalithic fortifications of Hnaenedre.
Church of St. Francis Xavier
Historic site and monument

Church of St. Francis Xavier

Lifou
The Church of St. Francis Xavier in Easo was one of the first churches built in Lifou.
Takone sandalwood distillery
Company open to the public

Takone sandalwood distillery

Maré
Santalwood and Fragrances. SNN: an international industrial project perfectly integrated with local customs.
Church of the Holy Name of Mary
Historic site and monument

Church of the Holy Name of Mary

Ouvéa
From the beach, a majestic access path of columnar pines leads to the church, which overlooks the lagoon from the top of a small hill.
Pénélo church
Historic site and monument

Pénélo church

Maré
The Church of the Holy Cross of Penelo was built in 1910 and inaugurated in 1915.
St. Joseph's Church
Historic site and monument

St. Joseph's Church

Ouvéa
Built in 1912, the imposing Saint-Joseph church stands facing the sea, flanked by a beautiful colonial building.
Church of St. John the Baptist of Hnathalo
Historic site and monument

Church of St. John the Baptist of Hnathalo

Lifou
The Church of St. John the Baptist is located in the Hnathalo tribal village in the Wetr district.
Monument dedicated to the arrival of the Gospel
Historic site and monument

Monument dedicated to the arrival of the Gospel

Maré
Located in the Roh tribal village some 200 m after the church, this monument commemorates the arrival in 1841 of the first Polynesian Protestant catechists who came to evangelize the island.
House of vanilla
Company open to the public

House of vanilla

Lifou
From growing to tasting, discover the secrets of vanilla, its history, and its evolution.
Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes
Historic site and monument

Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes

Lifou
Perched on the hill overlooking the Bay of Santal (Sandalwood Bay), the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes provides a magnificent viewpoint from which to admire the bay.
Memorial to the Ouvéa Nineteen
Historic site and monument

Memorial to the Ouvéa Nineteen

Ouvéa
A monument in memory of the 1988 hostage-taking and the 19 pro-independence activists killed during the assault on the Gossanah cave.
Church of the Sacred Heart of Wé
Historic site and monument

Church of the Sacred Heart of Wé

Lifou
Built by the missionaries of the Sacred Heart Xavier Montrouzier and François Palazy, this small church located by the sea does not lack style.
La Roche mission
Historic site and monument

La Roche mission

Maré
Built in1866, the Mission Church stands amidst abundant vegetation at the foot of the high coral rock that gave the tribe its name (Roche meaning rock in French).

Nearby

WordPress Image Lightbox Plugin